INTO THE MIST

31 October 2015

This year, in preparation for my big trip, I’ve vowed to participate in #NoSpendNovember to help me save some much-needed funds. This attempt to economise has meant that I’ve recently been on the look out for things to do in London that won’t break the bank. So as soon as I spotted Ann Veronica Janssens’ completely free ‘yellowbluepink’ installation on Secret London’s Facebook page, I just had to pay it a visit.

My lovely friend Tom – who’s currently studying at London Contemporary Dance School – seemed like the perfect companion for this artistic expedition, so we made plans to go during half-term.

After slogging it in to London on a jam-packed commuter train (and spending 40 minutes sitting not-so-comfortably on the train floor) I met Tom and we joined the queue at Wellcome Collection to enter this mysterious room of coloured mist.

It’s safe to say we were both pretty amazed. I expected to encounter a room filled with the kind of fast-fading, bad-smelling dry ice I had grown accustomed to during my time doing A-level drama, but this stuff was magical.

This mist just hung in the air. It refused to fade or be disrupted by movement, and the light projections made the slow colour changes seem completely natural.

This installation is part of Janssens’ States of Mind exhibition, which explores consciousness and human experience. If I’m honest, I really expected this to just be an entertaining room filled with pretty coloured mist, but the experience of being deprived of many basic senses and of being placed into a deliberately disorientating situation ended up being extremely thought provoking.

The room plays tricks on you. At one point we lost each other and I felt too conscious of disrupting the experience to call out Tom’s name to find him. Several times I found myself walking, hands outstretched into a wall that did not seem to be there.

After about half an hour of exploring (and a quick mist-selfie) we agreed to search for the exit.

We eventually managed to blunder our way out of the sealed door into the real world and we set off in search of sustenance.

We made our way to the Charlotte Street Côte Brasserie for brunch, and spent an enjoyable few hours laughing and catching up over a couple of delicious cooked breakfasts.

There’s nothing better than brunch with an old friend.

I’d definitely recommend you go to check out the installation if you’re looking for something to do that’s a bit unconventional. It’s only open until the 3rd of January though, so not one to be mist. Sorry, couldn’t help myself!

10 comments

  1. Oh my god. This looks amazing. I need to go ASAP.

    And that brunch looked amazing! ����

    Amanda || amandabootes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you made it before the exhibition finished? So annoying how quickly these things come and go! Ah tell me about it, brunch is probably my favourite meal (if it counts as a meal?!) x

      Delete
  2. These photo's are amazing, looks liks such a cool experience!

    Bex x
    http://turnrightatthegeese.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That exhibition was literally a bloggers dream! Made for such good pictures x

      Delete
  3. Hey Lily! I have nominated you for a Liebster Award tag, here is it http://www.ireisapenguin.com/2015/11/liebster-award.html

    Best,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweetie, I didn't realise I had comment notifications off so I've only just seen this. Thank you SO much for thinking of me! I'm travelling at the moment so probably won't be able to do a response post but I really appreciate it and I'm off to read your answers now. Much love x

      Delete
  4. This sounds amazing, I really want to do this now too. I love your pictures x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many weird and wonderful things come through London it's so hard to keep track of them all! This was definitely a good find x

      Delete
  5. Gosh, this looks so awesome (and dreamy)

    Meg | A Little Twist Of…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreamy is definitely the word! I felt like I was in Wonderland x

      Delete